New Joining Forces Volunteer Positions
We are seeking volunteers to help with two new and interesting projects we are working on:
- Storytelling for people who have experienced housing hardships
- "Advocacy Central" table attendant at Connections' Drop-In Center, where people coming in for services can get information about advocacy opportunities and learn how they can get involved
These articles are so good and so pertinent that we're highlighting them here. Get a cup of whatever you drink, and find a quiet place to read them both, from beginning to end. They're worth the time!
Choosing Affordable Housing
Joining Forces is starting off 2020 with a bang. Read our guest essays in the Evanston RoundTable:
- Let's Make Affordable Housing a Real Priority
- Affordable Housing in Every Ward
- Moving Forward with Age-Friendly Housing
- Affordable Housing, Equity, & Reparations
- Choose Affordable Housing!
Housing Progress in Evanston
At the City Council meeting on January 21, focused on affordable housing, aldermen not only heard Joining Forces' comments (see item above), but also:
- Heard a report on the excellent work that City staff is doing
- Heard the results of the Market Study that the Age-Friendly Evanston Housing Committee commissioned and oversaw
- Turned down a waiver of permit fees for owners developing affordable coach houses, but also discussed impactful ways to move forward on making coach houses affordable
- Approved funding for and development of a 60-unit affordable building for seniors on Howard, to be added on to the current site of CJE Senior Life
Here's a link to the packet for the meeting.
We thank the City Council for Choosing Affordable Housing!